Monday, July 15, 2013

Missouri!!

I remember living in Utah before moving to Missouri and people asking where Matthew and I were moving. I would tell them we were moving to Missouri and I think at least 75% of them said this exact line: "Missouri!? Sounds more like misery to me..." Well, folks, Matthew and I have lived here for a week now and I think it's safe to say... I think we're going to like it here! So let's start from the beginning, shall we?

Last Monday, we loaded up the trailers. Notice how I said trailerS? Yeah... We had 2. My dad was kind enough to let us drive his truck out, so we towed the biggest trailer U-haul offered with his truck and then we towed a smaller trailer with our little gutless wonder. So we picked up the trailers and Matthew's dad came over and him and Matt worked their mattress and stuffed those trailers full! Seriously, I can't even explain it, I wish I could show you everything that was inside of that trailer! It was awesome!

First trailer loaded in that NASTY heat!
This little helper came over with her mommy and daddy right as we were finishing up! (Impeccable timing!) haha but seriously, people, look at that ADORABLE thing!!!! So cute it's unfair! I will miss her lots! And her mom and dad too. :)
Second trailer all loaded and ready to go!
 Tuesday morning we woke up bright and early and headed out! Matthew and his dad were in the truck and my mom and I were in my car. The first day we decided to stop in Denver and stay with Angie, Keith, and their kids. Well... the trip took A LOT longer than expected. Instead of taking 8 hours, I think it took like 11 or something like that. Once we got there, it was great. I got to play with Jackson and Layla and Angie made us some delicious dinner. I was glad we decided to make our overall trip just a little bit longer by stopping in Denver to spend the night there. It was fun to play with Jackson and Layla and catch up with Angie. (Thanks for letting us stay the night, Ang!)

The next morning we woke up bright and early once again and headed east to Missouri! We left at about 6 AM and drove all day through eastern Colorado (freaking ugly!), Kansas (not as bad as I thought) and then got to Missouri! It was fun to ride in the car for so long with my mom and chat the whole time, but I did get angry once during the trip because it was taking FOREVER! We didn't get into Kirksville until 10:30 PM. Seriously, it was such a long day! When we got in, we immediately started unloading everything. We had a neighbor across the street who came right over and offered to help us and then Matt had 2 friends from COT who came over to help. I was shocked that there were so many people willing to help us so late at night. It was definitely a good beginning to our stay here. We got everything unloaded and into the house and then unpacked just enough to set up our beds for the night.

The next day was the 4th of July. I had found a 5K being run that morning, and I REALLY wanted to participate. Since we got in so late, it took a little convincing for Matthew, but we ended up going and it was lots of fun. I was surprised with the turnout! Matthew took 2nd place overall (surprise, surprise) and I did... decent. Not great. Haha but it was lots of fun anyway!

Matthew and I at the 4th of July 5K
After the race, we watched a little parade at the square and then we drove around the town and the campus and everything so our parents could see.

ATSU! Matthew's new home for the next couple of years!
After driving around town for a little while, the rest of our day/week consisted of unpacking, organizing, and decorating, as well as about 5000 trips to Walmart for things we kept forgetting we threw away. It was so fun to see our little home come together and I was so grateful for all of the help we had in those early-on days. We couldn't have gotten as much done as fast as we did without all of that help. So here are some pictures of our new home! :)

Family room/TV area
The other side of that room (new entertainment center that now has a new TV in it)
Dining Area
Downstairs/Guest Bathroom
Kitchen
Guest Bedroom (This actually looks different now, but... you get the idea!)
Our bathroom upstairs
Other side of our bathroom
And our front entryway complete with the engagement picture we thought we lost... Haha
So I haven't taken pictures of our bedroom or our office yet, but I will eventually, Those rooms are basically set up, but I don't feel like I have really perfected them yet, so I haven't taken any pictures.. :) I will post them again when I get a chance.

Just so this isn't a marathon post like mine usually are, I will just conclude with some bullet points:
  • We LOVE our ward and all of the people we have met so far. Everyone is so happy and friendly here and I have been so blessed with the people I have met so far.
  • I'm still on the hunt for a job to keep me busy during the day while Matthew is at school. No luck so far, but thankfully I've been able to keep busy for the past little while.
  • I think I have only made dinner a couple of times because we have been invited over by so many people to have dinner with them. 
  • The humidity! Ok, I know it's just Missouri, but holy cow! I feel wet ALL. THE. TIME! Haha ok, not ALL the time, but it is very... different. 
  • Matthew had his white coat ceremony on Saturday afternoon. I will do a separate post on that later. (Hopefully soon though!)
  • First day of medical school TODAY! I don't really know what to expect for the next few months/couple of years, but I am excited that Matthew FINALLY gets to start chasing the dream he has worked so hard to achieve! He is beyond ready to tackle med school, and I am ready to love and support him through it. :) Wish us luck!
  • By the way... Just to clear things up, Missouri is NOTHING like misery. At least Kirksville isn't. I actually am REALLY happy here. :)
Ok, so I think that's about it for now. Like I've said before, I am going to try to blog more frequently now that we live farther away from family. Let's hope I can do it!

Until next time.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like it's going to be a couple awesome, memorable years. YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to come out for a visit and start exploring the country that surrounds you! So happy to hear you're settled and have made friends. I think you're going to be really happy in Kirksville and will have many found memories to share in the years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! And yes, the humidity is. . . . different. Lol. Nice choice of words. It can really suck sometimes, but you get used to it, then it can actually feel so nice! Plus you don't have to moisturize your face or lotion your legs as much. :) We need to chat so I can hear more about it all!

    ReplyDelete