Friday, July 26, 2013

White Coat Ceremony

Well, I've finally sat down and taken enough time to blog about Matthew's White Coat Ceremony! This is something A.T. Still has just recently started doing (I think?) and it was actually a pretty cool ceremony and everything! The day started out with everyone going to campus and the guests went to a "guest orientation" where we were told how to support our loved ones through medical school. We learned about the Student Advocate Association (SAA) and everything they offer. Let's just say, the SAA is like 90% of the reason why people who have spouses (or significant others) choose to attend KCOM for medical school. It was a fun morning for the girls, even though I already knew most of it. Then Matthew and I went back home and got dressed and ready for the white coat ceremony that afternoon.

The ceremony was actually at Truman State in their auditorium, and it was really nice! The students all went to a separate classroom while the guests found their seats in the auditorium. It was kind of nice not being in a huge group, so I only had to find one seat. Well, as luck would have it, I was sitting close to the aisle where the students came in and so I was able to get a good picture of him as he came in!

Doesn't he look so good?? Such a handsome man!
The ceremony itself was pretty cool. I didn't pay attention most of the time, but it was crazy to just get things started and come to the realization that this is really happening! For the past year, I have felt like this day would never come. We always said we were moving to Missouri and we always said that Matt is going to medical school, but it has finally started! So after a few people spoke, the students all took turns going on stage, saying their name and what school they graduated from. Then they brought their white coat to the dean and she put it on them and then they walked across the stage the rest of the way.

Matthew after receiving his white coat and shaking hands with the dean.
It was a pretty fun kick-off to the first year of medical school and it definitely made everything much more real. I am so proud of Matthew and all of his hard work that has gotten him to where he is today. After the ceremony, we just took pictures outside for awhile and then we went to the school for an ice cream social. I tell you what, this school is the greatest ever! They find a reason to have socials for EVERYTHING! It is the best. :)

Matthew and I after the white coat ceremony
Side note: Check out my shoes in the picture above! We went to JCPenney when we first got here and I found these cute heels! They are the tallest shoes I have ever owned in my life. They are seriously like 3-4" heels. I kind of love them, but usually only when I'm around Matt. Around anyone else, I just feel HUGE. :) Anyway, that's all with that.

(Almost) all of the Utah State boys who are 1st years at ATSU. There is one more who we couldn't find for the picture
A bunch of the friends we have already made so far.
Love this picture. Can't wait to take another in 4 years. :)
The above picture is of a lot of the med school wives I have met so far. I can't say enough about all of these girls. It has only been a few weeks of living here, but I can already tell I am going to have some of the best friends in the world out here. It is amazing how quickly we have all been able to become friends and relate to each other. We get along so well and I can't wait to go on this journey together! (This is just a picture of the first year wives, I have some incredible friends whose husbands are second years too. I'll post pictures of/with them ASAP.)

And here he is! Student Dr. Matthew Thomas Wright! :)
And so it has begun. 2 weeks of medical school under our belts. I know this year may be really, REALLY tough sometimes, but I also know it will make Matthew and I much closer in many ways. I will post another update about our actual life soon, but just know all is well here!

Until next time.

2 comments:

  1. The picture of Matt with the Utah State boys.. There's a flying baby over their head. Just in case you didn't know. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Kelsey, I just barely saw this comment, and it made me laugh. That was my favorite part of that picture, I just forgot to mention it! The guy on Matthew's right side (left if you're looking at the picture) is that kid's dad. His brother was throwing him up in the air while we were taking pictures to try to photobomb. I was the one who caught him the highest in my picture. It was funny.

      Delete