Monday, July 9, 2012

Matthew's Birthday and Spartan Race!

Well... I'm only a month late, but better late than never, right? June 9th is Matthew's birthday... It was also the same day as the Bear Lake Half Marathon, so if you ask me, I'd say his birthday sucked, but he was sweet as always and said it was great. I ordered most of his presents off of the internet... I just feel like I have no time for shopping anymore! But I was disappointed because only one of them got there in time... So I made him a card, he opened the one present he got, and then we had to rush off to the race! I was so excited to get him a remote control helicopter, and he was excited when he got it, but then it didn't freaking work!! I was so upset... We returned it and got another one and then the remote on that one was messed up. Freaking depressing... :( So we have received a refund for that one, and I'm trying to decide if we want to go for the best out of 3... We'll see. One of these days we are going to find the time to go out to the Gaucho Grill too! It is a Brazilian BBQ place here in Logan that we have been dying to try. We were supposed to go on his birthday but... again, the race got in the way. Luckily, the day of his birthday he got to run a half marathon, go golfing with my dad and brothers, and... I don't really know what else. Another good thing is the weekend before, his mom made his favorite orange cake for him. thank goodness for good mothers! I tried to make it for him last year (about a week after we got married) and I failed miserably with the frosting! That will always be a fabulous memory of Matthew telling me the frosting wasn't ruined and trying to fix my awful frosting. So this year, I just made a different kind of cake instead of trying to make the good kind. I did made the homemade frosting recipe from his mom (not the orange one, just the regular vanilla) and I am slowly getting better at it! YAY! See the pictures of the cake celebration here:
My hubby is getting too old! The box of candles only comes with 24 candles... He has outgrown that, so I decided to be a cheapskate and get creative instead!

My little hottie with his cake. :)

I always make him make a wish. I doubt he really does it, but at least he pretends for me!

And he blows them out! :)
I seriously have the greatest husband in the world. I was so bummed that I couldn't do anything super exciting for his birthday (we seriously just haven't had time), but he has been SO easygoing and so sweet about it. He is such a hard worker and makes me laugh every single day. I make fun of him for being such an "old man" all of the time, but he still has 50x more energy than me! I don't know where I would be without him in my life. I am so glad I found someone who I can have so much fun with and who makes me so happy! I love that old man. :)

To stay on the subject of Matthew... on June 30th, he had his race that he has been waiting forever for! It is called the Spartan Race. For those of you who have never hear of this race... Holy cow!! It is intense! It's basically a half marathon mud run. Sound fun? No. This is not your average mud run. It is 12 miles and has about 25-30 obstacles. Some of these obstacles include: climbing over walls, climbing up ropes, net walls, carrying a bucket full of rocks and sand up a hill, tying your feet together and jumping up a hill into tires the whole way, shooting a gun, throwing a spear, "run" through mud pits that are seriously deeper than your waist, climb up a hill under barbed wire in a mud pit, etc... And if you screw any of these obstacles up or can't complete them? 30 burpies. Haha Matthew is amazing! He only had to do burpies twice for missing the target on the stupid gun shoot and for slipping off of a wall that was practically IMPOSSIBLE to get across, especially for someone his height. Haha he was running this race in like 95-98 degree weather! Holy cow, I would have freaking passed out! But he did so good and he finished it faster than I finished my half with just straight running. Haha he is way too good. It was so fun to watch him race and watch him do something that was actually hard for him. He did so good! He is always looking for "the next hardest thing"... It is seriously sickening. So what is next on his agenda? Practically the two hardest things I think anyone can do in their life... a full Ironman and an ultra-marathon (100 miles). Yes, I am married to one of THOSE people. He seriously won't stop until he has done everything he can do. He has already done a half Ironman and I thought that was amazing. The thought of a full Ironman freaks me out though... Who does that!? I guess we'll see what comes next for him... Until then, here are some pictures from the Spartan Race!

Just chatting before the race
And so it begins!
Coming out of the first 4 mile loop

Kinda far away, but that's him in the middle climbing the rope. He reached the top at the same time as the guy next to him, but he just reached up with his way long arms. :)
Coming out of the second 4 mile loop
Heading up the mud hill. It's just a picture of his butt though. :)
Coming towards the finish line! YAY!

Doing Burpies... :(



It's over!!!
I wouldn't touch him... haha
Haha I love this picture with his parents... :)
My Spartan!! :)

1 comment:

  1. How fun!! You know, they do shorter mud-run events :) our first race ever was the maniac mud run in Arizona and we had an absolute blast! Good for Matthew!! And you are such a cute wife!!

    ReplyDelete